Business Registration Certificates are issued on an annual basis and are valid for the City's fiscal year, beginning on July 1st, and ending June 30th of the following year. Upon approval of your application, the Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector (TTX) will provide you with a Business Account Number, which you will need in order to obtain other permits throughout the City, and mail you a Business Registration Certificate which must be conspicuously displayed at your place of business.
Existing business owners must renew their registration each year by May 31 for the upcoming fiscal year starting July 1.
Who must register
Every person who engages in business in San Francisco must register at the SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector (TTX) within 15 days of commencing business in the City.
What does engaging in business in San Francisco look like? Do you:
• Maintain a fixed place of business like a shop or an office?
• Exercise corporate or franchise powers?
• Own or lease land or buildings for business purposes?
• Regularly maintain a stock of goods for sale?
• Employ or loan capital on property?
• Solicit business for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
• Perform work for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
• Drive on SF streets for business purposes for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
• Liquidate a business when the liquidators thereof hold themselves out to the public as conducting such business?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you may have to register your business.
How to register
Complete the online application form. After submitting the application, you will receive two separate emails to the address you enter in the business registration application:
An E-Signature application that you must complete and return via email to the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector by following the instructions provided.
Instructions about how to pay the registration fee for the current year, and any prior years (if applicable). Pay the registration fee(s) as instructed. Your confirmation of payment will include your Business Account Number (BAN). The BAN may be used to apply for permits within CCSF.
To register you need
• Business Name
• Business Tax ID
• Business Start Date
• Legal Structure
• Ownership Name(s) and Address(es)
• Location Information
• Estimated Payroll Expenses and Gross Receipts from SF
• Email Address
• Payment Information
Credit/Debit (convenience fee applies)
Click here to see rate schedule.